There are two types of nonimmigrant visas available for people who want to visit the United States.

  • Visitor for business (B-1)
  • Visitor for pleasure (B-2)

The B-1 visa is for individuals who wish to visit the United States temporarily for business purposes, (e.g. conferences) or for medical treatment, or to accompany a family member who is requires medical treatment.

The B-2 visa is for individuals who wish to visit the United States temporarily or to visit family or friends.

If you are planning to visit the United States, you should be prepared to demonstrate the following:

  • Your visit will be temporary
  • You will depart at the end of your authorized stay or any extension granted by USCIS
  • You are in possession of a valid passport
  • You maintain a foreign residence that you have no intention of abandoning
  • You are able to support yourself financially while in the United States
  • You are admissible to the United States or have obtained a waiver for any ground of inadmissibility.

Generally, if you want to visit the United States you must first obtain a nonimmigrant visitor visa. Travelers from certain countries may be exempt from this requirement.

If you want to travel to the United States for reasons other than business or pleasure, you must apply for a visa in the appropriate category. This includes if you want to study, work as a crew member or journalist, etc.

You should be aware that a visa does not guarantee admission into the United States. CBP may deny your admission, and also limit the period of time you are authorized to remain in the United States.

If CBP authorizes your admission to the United Statesat the designated port of entry, you will receive a stamped Form I-94, Record of Arrival-Departure. If you wish to stay beyond the time indicated on the Form I-94, you may apply for an extension with USCIS. If you lose your Form I-94, you may apply for a replacement.

The optimal visa option in your case may vary depending on your particular circumstances and situation. To determine the best course of action in your individual case, please contact our office to schedule a free consultation.